The BHJ R Model honing plate has become the industry standard in duplicating cylinder bore distortion. Used by top machine shops, racing teams, and racer alike, it is acknowledged to be the finest, most accurate honing plate on the market today.
The R Model Honing Plate — also commonly referred to as a Torque Plate — incorporates all of the standard features, plus, it is specially machined and/or supplied with spacers and washers to duplicate cylinder head height and facilitate the use of the OEM-length head bolts or aftermarket studs during the honing operation.
Use of the same style of cylinder head gasket that is to be used during final engine assembly is necessary during the honing operation, when using the R Model Honing Plate.
Since the conception of the initial designs that were introduced by BHJ Products in early 1975, continued research and development has brought numerous design improvements that bring us to the three different models available today.
With Honing Plates to fit more than 300 V-12, V-10, V-8, V-6, straight 6, 4 cylinder, 2 cylinder and single cylinder engine applications found in automotive, truck, industrial, motorcycle and lawn and garden, BHJ is truly the world leader in honing plate innovation and production today.
Standard Features include:
- 1-3/4" thick Meehanite cast iron or tooling plate billet aluminum give maximum rigidity and resistance to permanent distortion and most closely simulate the stresses induced on the cylinder wall by the cylinder head when it is torqued in place. In addition, these materials have essentially the same coefficient of expansion as cylinder heads; important to those who hone at operating temperature.
- Cast Iron and Billet Steel plates are blanchard ground on both sides flat and parallel within precision commercial tolerances.
- Manufactured .090"-. 095" larger than the largest standard engine bore diameter found in the applicable engine family in most applications, allowing the plate to accommodate .060" over bore. This maintains full gasket firing ring compression, thus further enhancing bore distortion. (Special bore diameters available upon request.)
- Head bolt holes are precision drilled to factory tolerances.
- Clearance holes drilled for locating dowels. (Indexed, or "Dialed-In" dowel holes available upon request.)
- Shipped in a protective wooden case.
Click here to purchase R Model plates on HoningPlates.com.
Click here for a current list of Honing Plate engine applications.